Halaman

Minggu, 26 April 2020

PROGRESSIVE OF MODALS, USED TO AND BE USED TO


PROGRESSIVE OF MODALS
  1. PRESENT TIME modal + be + -ing (MEANING IN PROGRESS RIGHT NOW)

Let’s just knock on the door lightly. Tom may be sleeping. (right now)

Meaning the sentences above is IN PROGRESS RIGHT NOW.
Dalam kasus di atas, pembicara mengatakan mereka ke rumah Tom dan mengetuk pintu rumah Tom tetapi tidak ada jawaban dari TOM. Lalu mereka mengetuk pintu rumah Tom dengan keras (knock on the door lightly). Hal (mengetuk pintu dnegan keras) ini dialkukan karena mereka berasumsi Tom kemugkinan sedang  tidur (jika hanya mengetuk pintu seperti biasa, tom tidak akan dengar).  Kepa memakai may be sleepning? Karena mereka hanya berasumsi saja, pada saat mengetuk pintu rumah Tom dengan pelan, tom tidak keluar, maka mereka mengetuk pintu dengan keras.


All of the lights in Ann’s room are turned off. She must be sleeping. (right now)

Dalam kasus ini, pengunjung mengunjungi rumah Ann. Tetapi pada saat sudah di depan rumah Ann, seluruh lampu sudah padam. Maka mereka yakin Ann pada saat itu sudah tidur. Kenapa memakai must? Dilihat dari seberapa yakin mereka dalam membuat kesimpulan dari logical reason.

  1. PAST TIME modal + have been + -ing (meaning PROGRESS AT TIME IN THE PAST)

Sue wasn’t at home last night when we went to visit her. She might have been sleeping at the library.

Dalam kasus ini, kemarin malam teman Sue datang kerumah, tetapi Sue tidak ada. Teman-teman Sue berasumsi Sue sedang belajar di peprustakaan. It hanya asumsi karena Sue tidak ada di rumah.

Al wasn’t at home last night. He has a lot of exams coming up soon, and he is also working on a term paper. He must have been studying at the library.

Dalam kasus ini ada begitu banyak locigal reason mengapa Al tidak berada di rumah kemarin (warna kuning logical reason). Dengan beberapa alasan itu, penulis berasumsi He must have been studying at the library.


_________________________________________________________________________________

USED TO AND BE USED TO
1.       JACK used to live in Chicago.
Used to + V1  (express habit, activity, or situation that existed in the past but which no longer).
Habitual in the past : USED + Infinitive
2.       Marry is used to cold weather.
Marry is accustomed to cold weather.
Be used to + Noun/Gerund. Be used to and be accustomed to have same meaning. Be used to is habitual in the past.
Marry is accustomed to cold weather.  (ini adalah situasi yang biasa bagi Marry. Karena Marry terbiasa akan hal ini)

Exercise 34.
1.       Look those people who are coming in the door are carrying wet umbrella. It must be raining.
2.       A: Why is Margaret in her room?
B : I don’t know. She may be doing her homework.

Exercise 35.
1.       I have lived in Malaysia for long time. I am used to consistently warm weather. (habitual in the past)
2.       I used to live in Finland, but now I live in France. (no longer)



________________________________________________________________________


PROGRESSIVE FORMS OF MODALS
EXERCISE 34
             1.          Look. Those people who are coming in the door are carrying wet umbrellas. It (rain) must be raining.
             2.          A: Why is Margaret  in her room?
B: I don’t know. She (do) may be doing her homework.
             3.          A: Do you smell smoke?
B: I sure do. Something (burn) must be burning.
             4.          A: The line’s been busy for over an hour. Who do you suppose Frank is talking to?
B: I don’t know. He (talk) may be talking to his parents. Or he (talk) may be talking to his sister in Chicago.
             5.          A: What’s all that noise upstairs? It sounds like a herd of elephants.
B: The children (play) must/may be playing some kind of game.
A: That’s what is sounds like to me, too. I’ll go see.
             6.          A: I need to call Howard. Do you know which hotel he’s staying at in Boston?
B: Well, he (stay) may be staying at the Hilton, but I’m not sure. He (stay) may be staying at the Holiday Inn.
             7.          A: What are you doing?
B: I’m writing a letter to a friend, but I (study) must/should be studying. I have a test tomorrow.
             8.          A: Did you know that Andy just quit school and started to hitchhike to Alaska?
B: What? You (kid) must be kidding.
             9.          A: Did Ed mean what he said about Andy yesterday?
B: I don’t know. He (kid) might have been kidding when he said that, but who knows?
         10.          A: Did Ed really mean what he said yesterday?
B: No, I don’t think so. I think he (kid) must have been kidding.










USING USED TO (HABITUAL PAST) AND BE USED TO
EXERCISE 35
1.    I have lived in Malaysia for a long time. I am used to consistently warm weather.
2.    I used to live in Finland, but now I live in France.
3.    I am used to sitting at this desk. I sit here every day.
4.    I used to sit in the back of the classroom, but now I prefer to sit in the front now.
5.    When I was a child, I used to play games with my friends in a big field near my house after school every day.
6.    It’s hard for my children to stay inside on a cold, rainy day. They are used to playing outside in the big field near our house. They play there almost every day.
7.    A teacher is used to answering questions. Students, especially good students, always have a lot of questions.
8.    People used to believe the world was flat.
9.    Mrs. Hansen used to do all of the laundry and cooking for her family. Now the children are older and Mrs. Hansen has gone back to teaching, so the whole family shares these household chores.
10.                   Trains used to be the main means of cross-continental travel. Today, most people take airplanes for long-distance travel.
11.                   Ms. Stanton’s job requires her to travel extensively throughout the world. She is used to traveling by plane.
12.                   You and I are from different cultures. You are used to having fish for breakfast. I am used to having cheese and bread for breakfast.


     


21 komentar:

  1. NARA SOMA AJI (201910402125)

    BalasHapus
  2. Wahyu Riski Ilahi (201910402122)

    BalasHapus
  3. Adinda tri madani (201910402124)

    BalasHapus
  4. Nia Ros Azizah - 201910402109

    BalasHapus
  5. Arhima Shofia Fariha - 201910402094

    BalasHapus
  6. Roisatul Wahidatul Ma'rifah-201910402117

    BalasHapus
  7. Rhisma Dian Nova(201910402113)

    BalasHapus

If you have question, please written in comment column