Halaman

Kamis, 16 April 2020

DEGREE OF CERTAINTY: PAST TIME POSITIVE AND NEGATIVES


Modal + HAVE BEEN + NOUN/ADJECTIVE
MODAL + HAVE + V3
CASE: Lorenza Fell asleep in the class this morning.
100% sure
Lorenza stayed up late night
Proof the speaker sure.
Lorenza just told me that she had a party last night and she stayed up late night. So, she fell asleep in the lass this morning.

95% sure
Lorenza must have stayed up late night
Proof with logical reason.
Yesterday, I saw lorenza had party. So, I assume that she must have stayed up late night. That was the reason she fell asleep in this class.

Less than 50% sure
Lorenza may have stayed up late night
Proof with suggestion
Lorenza could /might/may have stayed up late night/ that is way Lorenza fell asleep in the class.

Lorenza might have stayed up late night
Lorenza could have stayed up late night






DEGREE OF CERTAINTY: PAST TIME NEGATIVES

CASE: Lorenza was not stay late night.
100% sure
Lorenza did not stay stayed up late night
Proof the speaker sure.
Yesterday, I lorenza and I came to the party last night. I stayed at late night but Lorenza did not stayed up late night. She back home at 10 0’clock. That is the reason I fell asleep in this class but Lorenza did not.

95% sure
Lorenza must not  have stayed up late night
Proof with logical reason.
Lorenza must not have stayed at late night in the party. That is the reason she did not fell asleep in the class this morning.

Less than 50% sure
Lorenza may not have stayed up late night
Proof with suggestion
Lorenza could /might/may not have stayed up late night at the party.

Lorenza might not have stayed up late night
Lorenza could have stayed up late night





Assignment
  1. Exercise 32.
A             : Jim is eating everything in the salad but the onions. He’s pushed all at the onions                       over to the side of his plate with his fork.
B             : He (like) must not like onions.
The answer must not. Because there is logical reason “He’s pushed all at the onions over to the side of his plate with his fork”
  1. Please make explain about degrees of certainty : future time  pages 98 (like what I explain about present and past)
  2. Exercise 33
Look. Jack’s car is in front of his house. He must be at home. Let’s stop and visit him.


___________________________________________________________________________EXERCISE 32
1.      A: Paula  fell asleep in the class this morning.
B: She (stay up) must have stayed up too late night.
2.      A: Jim is eating everything in the salad but the onions. He’s pushed all of the onions over to the side of his plate with his fork.
B: He (like) must not like onions.
3.      A: George had to give a speech in front of 500 people.
B: Whew! That’s a big audience. He (be) must have been nervous.
A: He was, but nobody could tell.
4.      A: What time is it?
B: Well, we came at seven, and I’m sure we’ve been here for at least an hour. So it (be) must be around eight o’clock.
5.      A: My favorite magazine doesn’t come in the mail anymore. I wonder why.
B: Did you subscription run out?
A: That’s probably the problem. I (forget) must not have forgotten to renew it.
6.      A: I met Marie’s husband at the reception and we said hello to each other, but when I asked him a question in English, he just smilled and nodded.
B:  He (speak) must not have spoken/ must have spoken much English.
7.      A: Where’s Dorothy? I’ve been looking all over for her.
B: I saw her about ten minutes ago in the living room. Have you looked there?
A: Yes, I’ve looked everywhere. She (leave) must have left.
8.      A: Listen. Do you hear a noise downstairs?
B: No, I don’t hear a thing.
A: You don’t? then something (be) must be wrong with your hearing.
9.      A: You have a black eye! What happened?
B: I walked into a door.
A: Ouch! That (hurt) must have been hurt.
B: I did.
10.  A: Who is your teacher?
B: I think his name is Mr. Rock, or something like that.
A: Mr. Rock? Oh, you (mean) must meant Mr. Stone.
11.  A: I grew up in a small town.
B: That (be) must have been dull.
A: It wasn’t at all. You can’t imagine the fun we had.
12.  A: Why are you here so early?
B: Sam told me that the party started at seven o’clock.
A: No, it doesn’t start until eight o’clock. You (misunderstand) must have misunderstand.

EXERCISE: Please make explain about degrees of certainly, future time pages 98 !
            Ok, I’ll explain about “DEGREES OF CERTANTY: FUTURE TIME”. As we know, when we make a clear statement and we are sure, we have to use general form like future time. Example: we will do our assignment of structure II (it means that I’m sure, we will do it because the lecturer have sent the assignment for us today, so we will do directly)=> the speaker sure 100%.
            The speaker is almost sure 90%. It’s different structure when we are sure just 90%, we have to use modal like should and ought to. Example: we should do our assignment of structure II (it means that the speaker is saying “we will probably do our assignment of structure. I expect us to do that. That is what I think happen”).
            The speaker is guessing 50%. When we talk something and we are not sure that it can be true or it can be wrong. It’s like just our opinion. We will use modal may/might/could. Example: we may/might/could do our assignment of structure II (it means that the speaker is mentioning one possibility, we will do that assignment if the lecturer have sent new assignment but if the lecturer have not sent so, we will not).

EXERCISE 33
1.      Look at all the people standing in line to get into that movie. It must be a good movie.
2.      Let’s go to the lecturer tonight. It should/ought to OR will be interesting.
3.      Look. Jack’s car is in front of his house. He must be at home. Lets’s stop and visit him.
4.      A: Hello. May I speak to Jack?
B: He isn’t here right now.
A: What time do you expect him?
B: He should/ought to be at home around nine or so.
5.      A: Who do you think is going to with the game tomorrow?
B: Well, our team has better players, so we should/ought to win, but you never know. Anything can happen in sports.
6.      A: It’s very important for you to be there on time.
B: I will/should be there at seven o’clock. I promise!
7.      A: What time are you going to arrive?
B: Well, the trip takes about four hours. I think I’ll leave sometime around noon, so I should/will get there around four.
8.      A: Here are your tickets, Mr. Anton. Your flight will depart from Gate 15 on the Blue Concourse at 6:27.
B: Thank you. Could you tell me where the Blue Concourse is?
9.      A: Susie is yawning and rubbing her eyes.
B: She must be sleepy. Let’s put her to bed early tonight.
10.  A: Martha has been working hard all day. She left for work before dawn this morning.
B: She must /should be really tired when she gets home this evening.
11.  A: Where can I find the address for the University of Chicago?
B: I’m not sure, but you may be able to find that information at the library. The library carries catalogues of most of the universities in the United States.
12.  A: When’s dinner?
B: We’re almost ready to eat. The rice should/will be done in five minutes.
13.  A: Where’s your dictionary?
B: Isn’t it on my desk?
A: No
B: Then it must be in the bookcase. You should find it on the second shelf. Is it there?
14.  Hmmm. I wonder what’s causing the delay. Ellen’s plane should have been here an hour ago.
15.  I thought I had a dollar in my billfold, but I don’t. I must not / should not have spent it.
16.  Ed has been acting strangely lately. He must be in love.





23 komentar:

  1. Wahyu Riski Ilahi (201910402122)

    BalasHapus
  2. Shinta Prihatini - 201910402120 have done this assignment yesterday night

    BalasHapus
  3. Komentar ini telah dihapus oleh pengarang.

    BalasHapus
  4. Lorensa Dian Anggraini_201910402107

    BalasHapus
  5. Roisatul Wahidatul Ma'rifah(201910402117)

    BalasHapus
  6. Rosa amelia putri (201910402118)

    BalasHapus
  7. Nia Ros Azizah (201910402109)

    BalasHapus
  8. Arhima Shofia Fariha (201910402094)

    BalasHapus
  9. Adinda tri madani (201910402124)

    BalasHapus
  10. Alif wiji kurniawan 201910402089

    BalasHapus
  11. Rhisma Dian Nova (201910402113)

    BalasHapus

If you have question, please written in comment column